Monday, February 21, 2011

Sisters

Dear Daughters,

I am so thankful that God gave me girls to raise. Many years ago I thought I wanted a house full of boys, but the Lord knew what he was doing by giving me the three of you.

One of the things I like the most about having girls is the "sister" relationship. Since I grew up with a sister, I know how much fun it is to share things, be silly, and of course do what sisters do best-argue! And since you girls are all closer in age than I am with my sister, I suspect you will argue even more. It is part of growing and up and to be expected, but I want you to remember one thing. Your sisters will be your very best friends in this world.

My best advice to you regarding your sisters is to love them unconditionally. Stand up for them, fight for them, and defend them. P, you recently told me that people did not understand when you said your sister was your best friend. I am so proud of you for recognizing this truth in your relationship with E. And E, you have been such a wonderful big sister to S. She looks up to you and treasures the times that you play dolls together and spend time "pretending."

When you do argue, let it be short-lived and ask forgiveness quickly. Many times we do not realize how harmful our words can be, or how deeply we can hurt feelings. Remember that your sisters will be there when no one else will. Treasure each other and lean on each other. You will need each other, even if you don't realize it now.

And lastly, enjoy the gift of being "girly" with your sisters. Laugh, giggle and play together. Share each other's hurts and cry together if you need to. Don't be stingy with your "stuff." Let each other hang out in your rooms. Share your clothes, toys, books and games and be generous whenever you have the chance. If you do these things, your "sister" bond will be strong and your memories happy.

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you." Phillipians 1:3

I Love You,

Mom

No comments: